Kale Caesar with Rye Croutons and Farro
Karen Hansen of Culver City, California
This reimagined Caesar salad substitutes kale for romaine,rye bread for the croutons and tofu for raw egg in the garlicky dressing.
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup farro
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- One 1-inch-thick slice of rye bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 12 ounces Tuscan kale, stems discarded and leaves shredded
- 8 ounces red or green kale, stems discarded and leaves torn
- 6 ounces silken tofu, drained
- 5 oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons grape seed or canola oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Freshly ground pepper
- Bring a small saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the farro and cook until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain, then transfer the farro to a bowl of ice water to cool. Drain again.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the rye bread and cook over moderate heat until crisp and golden, 7 to 9 minutes. Season with salt and transfer to a plate to cool.
- In a large bowl, toss all of the kale. In a food processor, puree the tofu, anchovies, garlic and mustard. With the machine on, drizzle in the grapeseed oil and 2 tablespoons of water. Add 2 tablespoons of the cheese and puree. Season with salt and pepper. Add the dressing to the kale and toss; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a platter or plates. Top with the farro, rye croutons and the remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese and serve.
Number of Servings
Time to Prepare